Wednesday, December 9, 2009

War on the Horizon

Before World War II began, German leader, Adolf Hitler, had a vision of one major German empire that covered all of Europe. Hitler began pursuing his dream on September 1, 1939 when he invaded Poland and started the war. Two days later, Britain and France responded by declaring war on Germany. On April 9, 1940, German forces invaded Norway and Denmark. By May 10, Germany had begun invading the Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxembourg. All three, along with France and the United States, had taken a neutral stance in the war. On June 10, 1940, Italy joined the war, allied with Germany.

The United States involvement, up until Pearl Harbor, had been solely neutral. America did not have the desire to join in the affairs of the Eastern Hemisphere. Content to sit back and watch, America never dreamed on the tragedy that was lurking in the future, waiting to pull her into the war. On December 7, 1941, AN American base in Hawaii was bombed by Japan, killing thousands and wounding thousands more. As a result, President Roosevelt declared war on the Axis Countries.
As I sit and think about World War II, and Pearl Harbor, and the effects they had on our country, I can’t help but think about the war waging in my own family. As armies invade on my quiet little country and things begin to fall apart, I realize that my time to enter this war is drawing near. I can no longer remain neutral in the battle. But when? When will I be pulled in? What will be my Pearl Harbor?

-Holly

11 comments:

  1. Holly,
    I really liked how you used the analogy of World War II and Pearl Harbor to compare to your family. Your blog was very interesting. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing. One of the best blogs.

    -Kaitlynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly,

    Just as others have said, your blog is good. It got me thinking about my own family.

    -Hannah G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an interesting way to think about disagreements in our families, very true.

    -Caleb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly,
    Great Blog! You use the best examples.
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was really good. It was an unexpected ending, but that makes it cool. Good analogies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I would have never thought of it like that

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting questions at the end. It really makes you think about the way Americans in general take a stand on everything, especially religion.
    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes i highly agree that this is one of the best blogs! The ending paragraph really got me thinking about my own family.I just gotta say again that this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is a really great blog! its vague but at the same time very descriptive of what youre going through

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great blog world war two is so interesting.
    =Devin Liles

    ReplyDelete