Monday, January 18, 2010

Resolution for 2010... What are yours?

It seems people every year try to make New Years’ resolutions that they intend to keep. While it is a goal for the resolution to be kept, 99.9% of the time, it does not happen. When I think about all the different kinds of resolutions, all I can think about is people trying to find ways to improve their character or appearance. People try to stop smoking. People try to stop drinking sodas, and my favorite is to lose weight. Most people are never happy with the way they look or feel. This results in those common resolutions to benefit ourselves. All of these resolutions can be very important, and I give credit to every single person who keeps their resolution, but at the same time, it is also good to do more for others rather than yourself.
My question is why aren’t people making a resolution to help others. There are so many things we could do to help. We can help feed the homeless; visit those in the hospital, whether it be young or old. Just a single visit can help people have a better day. We can give to those that are less fortunate. Send money to countries that are in distress (Haiti), etc. These are only just a few ways to help others, rather than yourself. I think a good resolution for me is not only to be a better Christian, but to look for opportunities that benefit others and help boost my self esteem at the same time.
So this year, make a new kind of resolution. Make a resolution that pulls you out of your comfort zone and tests your faith. Be different and change someone’s life.

-Kenzie

12 comments:

  1. Mercedes Kenz,

    This is a really good way of looking at New Years resolutions that I hadn't really thought of before, and you are exactly right. I mean, I know its 18 days after New Years, but it's never too late to start trying to make a difference to someone.

    Good blog, Mackaroni. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. COMMUNITY SERVICE!!!
    :D
    It sucks how we complain and make up excuses when we're forced to do stuff to help others. That should be something naturally born within us. Unfortunately the selfish side of us takes over.
    Good blog.
    -Hannah G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kenzie,

    i personally hate the whole celebration of the new year and so on. If you really think about it, there really isn't a difference between December 31 and January 1. A bunch of bologna is what I say.

    Good blog, love ya!

    -Kaitlynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though you did not win the outstanding writer award, it is very awesome of you to think about others the way that you do. That is an awesome characteristic to have.

    -T.J.-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mackenzie,
    Good blog, but I've always wondered why is it always a new years resolution...why not in the middle of July, or even September?

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  6. my only new years resolution was to not go insane..its not working; y do we even make them?

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never made a new years resolution and don't plan on making one any time soon. I know that I would never be able to keep it for a whole year, but if I did make one then I would come to you for advise. Good Blog!

    -Caleb

    ReplyDelete
  8. this was really good and inspiring kenz :)
    so far i've kept my new years resolution!
    and i hope to keep it that way as long as things like taco and lasagna don't keep taunting me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a really good way to think about new years resolutions! Everytime i have made a resolution it seemed like maybe a week or two went by then I broke the resolution and then felt worse than i did before new years. So making a more positive resolution, like you mentioned, will not only be easier to keep but will be far more rewarding for others and yourself!
    Great blog girl! I like your point of view on this a lot!!
    ~Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Personally, I hate New Year's Resolutions, but everyone has their own opinions. Loved your point of view, though
    =Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  11. i agree with you mackenzie. we should think about what we can do for others rather than ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i never keep resolutions so i dont even make them anymore hahahaha, good blog
    -Devin

    ReplyDelete