Monday, January 25, 2010

My First Cat

Back in the days when goldfish were the only form of pet I knew, I was content to spend my days staring into a fishbowl, coming back every hour on the hour to feed the fish, lest it go hungry. I don’t remember the day that I realized there were bigger and better things in this world… the day that I discovered cats. But once I got the idea in my head, I didn’t let my parents forget it for one minute. One morning in particular, I woke up determined it would be the day I would get my new pet. For a complete ten minutes on the way to church, I whined and begged and pleaded from the backseat for a cat.

“Please, Daddy, PLEASE. You don’t understand. I neeeeeeeeeed a cat. PLEASE, Daddy. We HAVE to get a cat. But I am your ONLY kid. I am your little girl. I want a cat. I NEED IT DADDY!”

Though he tried to remain firm and in charge, I could feel him giving in as I wrapped myself tighter and tighter around his little finger. Exasperated, he said, “Fine. If you want a cat that bad, pray for it. If God wants you to have a cat, you will get a cat.” Excitedly, I assumed this meant that if I prayed for a cat in Sunday school then we would go to the pet store the next day. Well that didn’t exactly happen, but I sure wasn’t expecting what came next.

One bright sunny morning just three days later, I walked outside, ready to leave for Mrs. Brenda’s daycare. I opened the car door and out from under it crawled a limping, but otherwise healthy, white, thick haired cat. It was beautiful and I could not believe my eyes. I’d never been so close to a real live cat before, just seen them on Aristocats and heard the stories my friends had told me. I bent down and extended my hand towards it and bravely it let me pet it for a long time. When my dad came out and saw the cat, he looked a little surprised, but then again not really. I always thought him and God might have also had a talk in Sunday school.

Over the next week, the cat continued to come back. Every day, I would pet him, brush him with my baby doll brushes, and give him milk in a bowl and any extra food my four year old hands could come across. And every night I would pray that he would be there again when I woke up. I also would consistently ask my dad if we could keep him, to which he always replied, “Maybe if he stays a couple more days. We don’t know who he belongs to, but he’s not ours.”

After several more days, I was thoroughly convinced that the cat was not leaving. And much to my father’s dismay, I could tell he was too. So one morning, for the millionth time I asked if we could keep the cat, and for the first time my dad said, “Yes.” I named him Colby, after the cute boy who sat across from me at snack time.

-Katy

12 comments:

  1. Katy,
    hahhahahahhahha that is so cute. You named him after a crush. hahah cute little story! too bad I hate cats! :) good blog!
    Kenz

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea i know kenz, i'm pretty much a dog person now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story...enjoyed reading it.
    -Hannah G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow you had never been that close to a real cat? you act like it is some kind of wild animal. i ran over a cat that looked like that the other day on my way to pick you up. haha just kidding it was already dead. just messing again but good blog i thought it was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwwwh :)
    this was a very cute story! it's good to be daddy's little girl cause you can get whatever you want. i recently begged for a cat and i got it haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its kinda ironic that you and cody have blogs the same week i think maybe its a sign hahahaha or maybe not whatever good blog
    -Devin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katy,
    Its a great story but just reading it made me sneeze!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha always has to be about a cute boy doesn it. Why Colby and not Cody? haha good blog

    -T.J.-

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww I love a good kitty story!
    : ) that was precious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good blog Katy!

    I still hate cats though :)

    -Kaitlynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a cute story. You sound so much like my sister, though. We have two dogs and my parents swear that we will never get another cat again, yet she is constantly begging for another kitten or puppy. I just dont get it.
    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good cat stories never get old! Haha! Good blog.

    -Caleb

    ReplyDelete