Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Kaleidoscope

The kaleidoscope of color shifted from brilliant red – gold to sand and white; the sand molded with a sleek, glistening black and then turned to pure, clean white, and back to the red – gold. I watched as it turned and shifted through this same color pattern, mesmerized. They were all so beautiful. Over and over I watched with delight at the beauty before me, all my very own. I laughed with joy as the colors grew and developed into something more beautiful and complex than anything I knew. I was truly blessed. My eyes focused beyond the beautiful color and looked into the heart. It was there I was truly happy with what I saw. The colors – this joy – were mine to keep.
But it didn’t last. Things slowly began to change. The black and sand colors began to flicker in and out. Their definition became unclear. I watched as they slowly disappeared. Tears silently filled my eyes. Then, I watched in horror as the pure white became cloudy and deluded. And then, just like that, it was gone. The only color that stood fast was the red – gold, but that didn’t seem to be enough. The kaleidoscope was broken. It fell from my numb fingers to the floor where it shattered and spread in all directions.
My knees gave way beneath me, and I fell to the ground. The tears flowed freely now, easy almost. I opened my eyes and saw the glimmering red – gold still intact. A faint shining hope edged its way into my heart. I picked up the pieces of the kaleidoscope, and went on my way down a path I was sure would always be there.

13 comments:

  1. Well, there's no name, so I'm not sure who wrote this. But it was very good. Great imagery.

    -katy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool. Amazing job on the imagery.

    -Kaitlynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly,
    I really liked it. Definitely good job with imagery.
    -Hannah G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly,
    The imagery is so amazing. I loved your blog it was so cool to read. Good job!
    -Kenzie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly,
    I love the way you think. You are naturally a creative, descriptive, and talanted writer. Keep up the good work! Oh by the way, good luck on your scholarship short story. If you use this kind of imagery, you have a great chance at winning!
    Ashley Reed

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutly love this one! It creates so many creative images in your mind. I kinda want to go get a kaleidoscope now!! Great Great blog!!! Your an amazing writer!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holly,
    You used great imagery. I really loved all the descriptions. Great Blog!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holly,
    Wow I have never really been able to picture anything as much as the kaleidoscope that is in my head now. Great blog!


    -T.J.-

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember playing with kaleidoscopes. This reminds me of then.
    -Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  10. They have kaleidoscopes at cracker barrell
    -Devin-

    ReplyDelete
  11. i use to like kaleidoscopes. Good use of imagery

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is very descriptive and sets a vivid image in my mind. Great job on the imagery!

    -Caleb

    ReplyDelete
  13. holly i absolutely love this!! great imagery, immpeccable details...just great all around!! love it && u!

    ReplyDelete