Thursday, November 26, 2009

Am I Truly Thankful?

Every year, we gather around a table with friends and family and enjoy a large lunch or dinner. We talk about what we are thankful for for ten minutes at most. When we are done, we eat and talk about what happened to each of us since the last time we saw one another. We laugh together around a table in fellowship for a few hours. However, we unfortunately go our separate ways at the end of the day.
Every year, I promise myself that I will keep up with Rian, my step-cousin, and every year, I fail at just that. I have to ask myself, how can I be truly thankful for my family if I don't even keep up with them? Today has been a great day with my family and friends, but I don't want that fun time to be a rarity.
In the same way, every day, I promise myself that I will become closer in my walk with God, and every day, I fail at just that. If I am to be truly honest with myself, I must ask myself, how can I be truly thankful for a God who gave up his son for me if I do not take the time to talk to Him? I want to want to take time, but I find myself living down to the expectations of many other people. I am then daily disappointed in myself.
However, I learned durring Horton Haven that we cannot be challenged, but rather that we must be changed. This year, I will strive to show my thankfulness to God by coming to Him with a sincere heart of thanksgiving, praising Him for everything that He has done for me. Only then can I show even part of my thanks to Him for his providncial grace.

- Ashley Reed

11 comments:

  1. Ashley,
    I totally agree. There are times we promise ourselves that we are going to strive to be better, but we always fail.We have so much to be thankful and often times we forget.
    -Kenzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good thing is that we have a God that still wants us, and he forgives us and gives us a fresh start every day. :) Happy thanksgiving, girl. Good blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley,
    You are completely right and we all do the same. It's something that we do have to change no matter how hard it may be.
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley,
    I agree with everything you say.
    -Hannah G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are very right. We all do it and will continue to do it because we aren't perfect.

    -Caleb

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very true! We all get so excited about our good intentions and very few times do we follow through with them.

    ~KellieBurke

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesom blog Ashley. I feel like that with my family sometimes too and with God. I want to come to him with a sincere heart also.

    -T.J.-

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree. I know that I'm not perfect and I need to work on this.
    -Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  9. yea the ho ha speaker was dead on with me 2 he was really good

    ReplyDelete