Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Gratefulness

Defining the Grateful Gesture
By: Yvonne Sapia
“According to our mother,
when she was a child
what was placed before her
for dinner was not a feast,
but she would eat it
to gain back the strength
taken from her by long hot days
of working in her mother’s house
and helping her father make
candy in the family kitchen.
No idle passenger
traveling through life was she…”


When I first read “Defining the Grateful Gesture”, I thought about how ungrateful we can be. I think that we could all learn a couple of things about being grateful. The dictionary definition for gratefulness is “warmly or deeply appreciative of kindness or benefits received”. I really thought about all of the small things that we take for granted every day, such as: cell phone, school, house, bed, family, television, ipod, food, teachers, computers, car, and a caring God. We are blessed with many things that we do not even think about for a second. It’s easy for us to appreciate the larger things that we are blessed with because they are more noticeable. When people do amazing things for us that are out of the ordinary, we realize it and are thankful. What about the everyday things? What about simple things that we expect but shouldn’t? If some of the simplest luxuries were removed from our lives, I imagine we would notice. The problem is that it does not go both ways. If we are upset when we lose these things, then why aren’t we equally as grateful when we have them. I know that I need to improve my gratitude in everyday life and I think this is something we all can improve on.

-Caleb

12 comments:

  1. Caleb,

    Thank you for that reminder, I have been taking so many things for granted lately. You did a really good job on this.

    -Kaitlynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caleb,

    I am such a great believer in the belief that gratitude is the great answer to many of our life struggles. Thank you for articulating that in your response this week. We all needed to hear that!

    Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Caleb. We're lucky to be so blessed. This was really good! :)

    -Katy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like what you had to say! We really do need reminders here and there to actually appreciate what all we do have.

    ~kellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Wagler I just actually did a poetry response on this last week and it is very true. I am guilty and need to work on being more thankful. I can not hear this message too many times.

    -T.J.-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caleb,
    I think you are so right when you say how we're not equally grateful when we have things that someone may not have.
    God truly has blessed every one of us. Thanks for the reminder and I know I need to work on gratitude as well.

    -Hannah G.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we all need to work on being grateful of everything we have.
    -Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  8. Caleb,
    I think you did a really good job on this and showed us all that we need to think twice at everyday things. Good job!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I hear something like this, I make myself think for a little bit. When I think of all of the complaining I do without realizing all that I have, I am so ungrateful. Thanks for the insight. This may be one I have to think about for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great writing ... as teens we really need to learn this lesson

    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  11. We do take many things for granted. It is nice to think about what you have instead of what you don't have.
    Cody Butler

    ReplyDelete