Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"In the cemetery
a mile away
from where we used to live
my aunts and mother,
my father and uncles lie
in two long rows,
almost the way
they used to sit around
the long planked table
at family dinners..."


Unveiling by Linda Pastan

The title "Unveiling" initially drew my thoughts to a wedding, particularly the unveiling of the bride just before she shares a heart warming, exciting first kiss as the wife of the man she loves. That moment signifies the bond of love that two people share in their lifelong journey together. This journey of life reminds me of a curvy road leading to the top of a mountain. It has its ups and downs, its twists and turns, but it's a beautiful and amazing ride; every moment takes you higher. But eventually, life reaches its climax, the highest part of the mountain. You've seen all there is to see and the only way to go from the top is down. Life begins to slowly fade away with old age and death. Time seems to move faster as you look back on cherished memories. Such was the case of the person in this poem, left alone to reflect upon special moments spent with her deceased loved ones. Death is sad from an earthly standpoint- a last gasp of air, the final beat of a heart, the end of new experiences and adrenaline-pumping adventures, the conclusion of living. The grief surrounding death is heightened by being the sole human left in a group of people, forced to encounter this not-so-grand finale by himself. Luckily, as Christians, we can celebrate death as the beginning of a new and perfect life with our Creator. The road to Heaven- now that's the one I'd choose to be on.

- Katy

15 comments:

  1. Katy,

    Loved the addition of the stanza from the poem here, and as I already expressed, I loved the "unveiling" image you used. Also really liked the change you made the phrase we discussed today! Good work on this!

    Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I get such a deep best friend?
    Awesome entry Katy.

    -You're bestie, Kaitlynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful! it meakes you really think :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you can put something in a completely new perspective and really show the way you feel about something. Very Nice!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think someone should read this at like a wedding or something, its very sweet and heartfelt! I must say you just did a fantabulous job dear Katy!

    ~kellie

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was very thought provoking and very good.
    -Hannah G.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the way you ended it by not looking upon death as the end, but rather as a new beginning. It really makes me think about the way I approach some things. Thanks for the insight!!
    - Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also chose the road to Heaven. This was really cool. I would have never thought of the poem in this way.


    T.J.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it is good to know that when you come to an end it is a new beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katy,
    I loved what you had to say! You are such an amazing writer. I wish I could write as well as you do. I would have never thought of the poem the way you did. I love you!
    -Kenzie

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a great blog, your writing skills are outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This really set a good image in my head. I really like your interpretation of this poem. Great writing!

    -Caleb

    ReplyDelete
  13. your a really good writer katy! i love this :)

    -tori

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is really good. very insightful

    -Holly

    ReplyDelete
  15. hmmmmm.
    thought provoking indeed.
    -Tyler

    ReplyDelete